Seizures, whether or not accompanied by fever, can be fatal impact. That is why, after giving first aid, take your child immediately to hospital.
Seizures themselves are the result of excessive muscle contractions in a certain time without being able to be controlled. One cause of the occurrence of febrile seizures is high body temperature of children. Incidence of febrile seizures is termed febrile seizures (convalsio febrillis) or stuip / step.
The problem is, tolerance of each child against the fever is very varied. At the low tolerance of children, the fever in the body temperature 38 C was already able to make seizures. While the children are normal tolerance, new seizures experienced if the body temperature had reached 39 C or more.
DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY TO CARRY
To prevent things that are not desirable, it is advisable for parents to give first aid as soon as possible so know your child having a febrile seizure.
After that, do not wait for another time promptly bring the child to the doctor or the nearest clinic. Do not be fixated only on the duration of seizures, whether just a few seconds or few minutes. That way, your child will receive further treatment right from the experts. Usually the doctor will also give febrifuge, as well as provide drugs to cope with seizures and antikejang. "As first aid, do not take him straight to a full hospital that is located relatively far away because your child might get a more dangerous risk due to slowly get first aid."
In addition, if the febrile seizure was not immediately receive proper treatment, your child will be exposed to any danger of mental retardation. Because febrile seizures can cause damage to brain cells of children. So, if the seizures took place in a long time, then possibility of damaged cells would be more and more. It is not possible level of intelligence of children will decrease drastically and no longer able to develop optimally.
Even some cases of febrile seizures may cause epilepsy in children. No less important, so children affected by febrile seizures, the parents must be extra careful. You see, in the first year after the incident, similar seizures or even greater chance of repeating itself.
To anticipate and make preparations febrifuge antikejang drug that has been prescribed a pediatrician. Even so, parents should not overly worried. Because with the proper and immediate treatment, a febrile seizure that lasted a few moments generally do not cause brain dysfunction.
Of course in this case parents should be able to read the characteristics of a child affected by febrile seizures. Among them:
* Both legs and arms stiff movements accompanied by a strong shock and seizures for 5 minutes. eyeballs turned upward
* Clenched teeth
* Not infrequently the child stops breathing for a moment.
* In some cases can not control spending bowel / small.
* In severe cases, the child often unconscious. The intensity of the seizures also vary widely, from several seconds to tens of minutes.
TIPS OVERCOME febrile seizures
Here are some explanations about the seizure and fever in children:. Child's normal body temperature ranges between 36-37 C. Little declared a fever if her temperature is measured through the mouth / ear showed the 37.8 C; through the rectum 38 C, and 37.2 C through higher ketiak.Sebelum, ventilate febrifuge. .
Parents do not be so easy to tell a child a fever or not simply by attaching the back of his hand on the forehead of the child. This method is clearly not accurate because it is very influenced by temperature sensitivity and parents themselves.
Mercury thermometer is believed to be the most appropriate way to measure body temperature. Measurement of body temperature would be more accurate if the thermometer is placed in the mouth or rectum / anus than the armpit.
When faced with little ones who are febrile seizures, as far as possible try to stay calm. The attitude of panic will only make us do not know what to do that just might make a child suffering worse.
Do not use alcohol or cold water to lower body temperature of children who had a fever. Alcohol use is very likely to cause irritation to eyes and intoxication / poisoning.
It's safer to use plain water compress placed on the forehead, armpits, and groin. Compress is aimed at lowering the temperature at the surface of the body. The fall in temperature is expected to occur because the body heat used to evaporate water on the cloth compresses. A drastic drop in temperature it is not recommended.
Do not try and give aspirin or other drugs containing salicylates may trigger suspicion of Reye's syndrome, a rare disease and affects the work of liver, blood, and brain.
After the child was acutely aware, persuade him to much to drink and eat food berkuah or fruits that contain lots of water. Can be a juice, milk, tea and other beverages. Thus, body fluids which evaporate quickly due to high temperatures can be replaced.
Do not selimuti baby with thick blankets. Blankets and clothing covered with thick and it will increase body temperature and prevents evaporation. Tight or binding clothes are too tight it should be uninstalled.
PARENTS CAN DO
* Immediately give febrifuge so the child's body temperature exceeded 37.5 C.
* Apply with a warm towel (which is approximately the same temperature with little body temperature). Do not compress with cold water, because it can lead to "short circuit" / strong impact on the brain between the child's body heat with a cold pack earlier.
* In order for your child is not injured, move objects that are hard or sharp near the children. . Do not hold your baby's mouth to remain open with a prop / menggigitkan something between his teeth. . Tilt the child's body position for the patient does not swallow his own vomit fluid that can interfere with breathing.
* Do not give drinks / food immediately after seizure stops because it will only make the child a chance to choke.
Seizures WITHOUT FEVER
The causes vary. What is important, do not get repeated and prolonged as it can damage brain cells. According to dr. Merry C. Siboro, Sp.A, from Metro Medical Centre Hospital, Jakarta, seizures are excessive muscle contractions in the outside of the will.
"Seizures-convulsions might occur if a baby or child's body temperature too high or it could be without a fever."
Febrile seizures are called febrile seizures (convalsio febrilis). Usually caused by a disease in a child's body. For example, high fever due to respiratory infections, ear inflammation, gastrointestinal infections, and urinary tract infections. While seizures without fever are febrile seizures that do not. Also common in children.
Can be experienced ALL CHILDREN
The condition generally appears from the body seizures that become stiff and eyeballs turned upward. This condition is commonly called a step or seizures toniklonik (kejet-kejet). Seizures without fever can be experienced by all children under five. Even a newborn baby.
Generally, because there are congenital abnormalities that interfere with brain function so that it can cause seizures. It could also due to birth trauma, the presence of infections at the last moment of birth, the birth process is difficult so most do not get into the brain of oxygen, or suffer a big head or small.
Babies born weighing over 4000 grams can also be at risk of seizures without fever during the period of neonates (28 days after birth).
"This is usually caused by a maternal history of diabetes, so that his son had hipoglemi (ganggguan sugar in the blood). Thus, any baseball fever, he could be seizures. "
Furthermore, the baby with the disorder due to diabetes hipoglemik this would be vulnerable to seizure. "For example, late given to drink alone, she immediately seizures." Uniquely, it rarely premature infants suffer seizures. "Sufferers more babies who just months. Allegedly because of her nervous system is perfect and so are more vulnerable than premature babies who are not perfect. "
DO NOT let it happen
Important note, if the child has seizures, there is a chance he could spasm again. In fact, recurring seizures should not be allowed in addition also should not last long or more than 5 minutes. When going to harm the child.
The problem is, every time the child has seizures asfiksi or lack of oxygen in the blood. "Every minute, seizures can cause damage to brain cells, because inhibition of oxygen flow to the brain.
Imagine what happens when kids go back and forth seizures, how many thousands of cells would be damaged? The lack of oxygen flow to the brain it can cause some brain cells were damaged.
"The damage in the brain can cause epilepsy, paralysis, and even mental retardation. Therefore, in children who had seizures or convulsions talented, parents should continue to monitor for recurrent seizures do not occur.
Monitored THREE YEARS
Risk of recurrence of seizures in children, generally depending on the type of seizures and the presence or absence of neurological disorder based on EEG (Electroencephalography). Among infants with neonatal seizures (without fever), there will be resurrection without fever within the first 7 years in 25% of cases. Seventy-five per cent among infants who experience seizures will become epileptic.
Should be sought, within three years after the first seizure, lest any seizures following.
Your doctor will monitor for three years thereafter, after the first seizure came. If in three years there was no seizure again, though only in a few seconds, then for the next child have baik.Artinya prognosis, no neurological and mental disorders occur.
But, what if after treatment, was in second year spasm again?
So, for three years after the first seizure, the child must be free of seizures. Children with seizure-free for three years and thereafter, will generally be better and better. Except in children who are born have congenital abnormalities, such as small head (microcephaly) or large heads (makrosefali), and if there are tumors in the brain.
TYPES OF CAUSES
"Seizures without fever can be derived from abnormalities in the brain, not from the brain, or hereditary factors," penjabarannya one by one below.
* Any disease or disorder neurological disorders that interfere with brain function can cause seizures.
For example, birth trauma, head trauma, brain tumor, brain inflammation, bleeding in the brain, or lack of oxygen in brain tissue (hypoxia).
* Not a neurological disorder can be caused by blood electrolytes due to vomiting and diarrhea, low blood sugar due to a long illness, lack of food intake, long spasm caused epilepsy, metabolic disorders, circulatory disorders, toxicity of drugs / chemicals, allergies and birth defects.
* Seizures due to heredity factors other diseases such as epilepsy usually come from families who have a history of febrile seizures same. Parents who had experienced seizures as a child should be wary because of the high-risk children experience the same strain.
Beware UNDER 6 MONTHS
Parents should be vigilant when children are often seizures without fever, especially under the age of 6 months, likely to suffer from epilepsy Because large.
The problem is, seizures in children under 6 months, especially in the neonatal period it is unique. "Not just like toniklonik as we know, but also in the form of other movements. For example, his eyes squint up and moving, his lips twitching or arms like tremors.
Doctors usually cautious, but if the seizure occurred at home, usually rare ngeh mother. "That is why parents should pay attention to correct the condition of the baby.
HELPING CHILDREN Seizures
1. Do not panic, immediately loosen his clothes and throw off all that inhibit or windpipe. So if you're eating all of a sudden seizure of children, or there is something in his mouth while the seizure, immediately remove it.
2. Tilt the child's body, as most children who were seizure remove fluids from his mouth. "It's actually a lot of saliva in number because the nerves that regulate salivary gland uncontrollably again. If it is seizures, right, central nervous disturbed. Not just the saliva, tears can come out. "In order to tilt the body is to direct these fluids come out, do not settle in the mouth are even at risk of clogging airways and aggravate the situation.
3. Do not easily believe that to drink coffee on the child who was seizure can immediately stop such seizures. "Medically, coffee useless to overcome cramps. Coffee can actually cause respiratory obstruction if given when the child has seizures, which can even cause death. "
4. Immediately take the child to the nearest hospital, not to the brain eventually gets no oxygen. "Try not long seizure of more than three minutes. Prepare medication recommended antikejang doctor if the child had ever had a history of seizures or convulsions. "
Penatalaksaan seizures include:
1. Handling time Seizure
* Stopping seizures: Diazepam initial dose of 0.3 to 0.5 mg / kg / dose IV (Intra Venous Injection) (slowly) or 0.4 to 0.6 mg / KgBW / dose rectal suppository. When seizures can not be resolved can be repeated with the same dose 20 minutes later.
* Lower the fever:
Anti Piretika: Paracetamol 10 mg / KgBW / dose PO (Per Oral / oral) was given 3-4 times daily.
Compress: temperature> 39 º C with warm water, temperature> 38 º C with normal water.
* Treatment of the cause: antibiotics are given as indicated by essentially disease.
* Handling Other sportsmanship include: free the airway, providing oxygen, provides water and electrolyte balance, consider the balance of blood pressure.
2. Prevention of Seizures
* Prevention of periodic (intermittent) for simple febrile seizures with diazepam 0.3 mg / KgBW / dose PO (Per Oral / mouth) and anti piretika while the child is suffering from a disease accompanied by fever.
* Prevention is continuous for febrile seizure Complicated with vaproat acid 15-40 mg / KgBW / dose PO (per oral / oral) in 2-3 divided doses.
CHILDHOOD EPILEPSY TO CONTROL EVERY 3 MONTHS
Those who are at risk of suffering from epilepsy are children born to families who have a history of epilepsy. Besides also the children with neurological abnormalities before the seizures first-come, either with or without fever.
Children with frequent seizures are potentially suffering from epilepsy. But do not worry, children who suffer from epilepsy, except those born with disorders or growth disorders, can grow and develop like other children. Their learning achievement is not inferior to normal children.
So, we do not need to exclude children with epilepsy because he could develop normally like other children. "The important thing, he handled it well. Usually when the child was often seizure, the doctor will give a drug that can keep it in order not to cramp again.
In children with epilepsy, the focus of treatment is not to happen anymore seizures. For that, need to control, at least every 3 months for monitoring of the doctor went on. " Related Articles: